Sunday, April 29, 2007

Letter from Carolyn Day Smith

As a young girl growing up just a few houses from the historic Stewart (now Farley) home, I spent many hours in the historic district walking to school, church, downtown, and to the homes of friends. The beauty, charm, and history of the area is still a treasure to me.

Since my childhood, the commercial area has rapidly advanced toward Broadway. Now to commercialize the CORNERSTONE, the Stewart home area, is an encroachment on one of Minden's finest treasures. As I see it, money is the primary goal of this change. At my age, nearly 75, money is low on my list of priorities. Preserving treasures is high!

When my father and I used to sit on our front terrace at night to look at constellations- that is a treasured memory. Now with nearby bright lights on the Homer Road, the skies are a blur of red glow. A treasure lost!

How far will commercialization go? Think of the memories of both old and young citizens!

The wrecking ball has taken find old buildings downtown and on Broadway - the old courthouse, First Baptist Church, First United Methodist Church, all of which were no longer adequate for their needs. The historic and magnificent Sandlin house is now a parking lot as a re some other fine homes.

PLEASE, let's spare our cornerstone, the historic Stewart home, where it was built!

Carolyn Day Smith
4-27-2007

No comments: